FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BITTER SWEET Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words bitter and/or sweet, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 20th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Bitter Sweet will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Jeffry Jensen


THE CATASTROPHE OF SWEETNESS


It all seemed so unspectacular on first glance.

What is a poet to do with a myriad of repressed fantasies?

As usual, rational thought went up in a blaze of incongruity.

Standing in a small dark space, I worked on my cheetah skills.

It dawned on me that there is no good reason for me to show

my possibly winning hand or any particular auditory slipups.

I got the feeling that something really powerful was messing

with my codes, with my sense of worth, with my soul.

This situation can bring on the most annoying bitterness,

can bring on a loss of balance, a loss of true governance.

The hallway was jam-packed with froufrou expressions

to twist in a Hammurabi moment into a ponderous fringe continent.

I strapped on a metal detector that has proven to find

all the sensory exotica that I can handle.

Maybe it comes down to the motion in the ocean,

I find the sparks are flying off the burning skillet of family phenomenology.

Coming around the corner on the dark side of my eyelids,

I frame a ritual ceremony in order to not surrender

to the elephant in the room that is the catastrophe of sweetness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marvinlouis Dorsey

What has happened  to my sha- dow how many colors are in eyes  of the  foolish  some- one has us in this  place time where no one  knows how...