FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BITTER SWEET Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words bitter and/or sweet, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 20th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Bitter Sweet will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Tim Tipton

Chocolate Cake


A house late at night that lays

somewhere between today and

tomorrow holds a certain

quiet and aloneness that

attracts me

I look for comfort in the

kitchen to the only thing

still awake, the refrigerator

It doesn't not disappoint, it

has in store for me a forgotten

piece of chocolate cake

I sit at the kitchen table

with the cake, accompanied by

a tall glass of milk

the stars are shining bright through

the kitchen window

I break off a piece, bring it to

my mouth

The pastry sinks within my taste buds,

moist and sweet

The moment, simple and delicious

satisfies me

I fork the cake in and tell myself

I want to feel this way again and again




It’s crisp October and the high ocean air

Has a sweet scent of sapphire tinge.

Lights have just mislaid their color

outlying the five o’clock skyline

Car headlights come one, owls test the field

late sun striking tops of trees

Illuminating the poplar leaves

Sky transformed swiftly from warm to cold

A chill breeze urged past me

I heard wind chimes play a vigorous tune

As the crisp October night folded in.




The Arrival of Spring


A long winter has ended

The arrival of Spring pleases me

It’s sweet light is in full flourish

It fills my garden

Robins and sparrows and a pair of blue jays

fluttered through the trees with renewal

I pick up a garden hose and scatter a stream

of cold water on the begonias, calla lilies,

Bird of paradise and on the hollyhocks

After that on the ivy bed, the steps of the

front porch and the windows too

Everything in sight was bathed in a damp,

fresh glow.

I looked at the dripping trees, flooded front

porch, the sparkling flowers, the pools of water

on the lawn and the saturated driveway

I felt pleasingly rejuvenated and reborn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marvinlouis Dorsey

What has happened  to my sha- dow how many colors are in eyes  of the  foolish  some- one has us in this  place time where no one  knows how...