FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: BITTER SWEET Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words bitter and/or sweet, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on September 20th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Bitter Sweet will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Lynne Bronstein

The Crude and the Sweet


 I could not have predicted how it would end,

 With a sandwich he made for me.

 A wedge of meat loaf wrapped in a slice of rye,

 Draped around the meat like a tortilla.

 It was awkward in my hand

 But well-intentioned.

 It just wasn’t gourmet cooking

 And it sure as hell wasn’t

 A diamond, with him on his knees,

 Asking if we could be forever and all that jazz.

 If I had known it would be our last date

 I would have held that sandwich

 Like a bride holds her bouquet.

  

 I can’t even

 Say how much I would enjoy

 Love without clumsiness,

 And even as I say it, I know

 There’s no way to avoid it.

 The world is full of men who are

 Sad little boys. 

 Unable to reach

 That place where girls were already

 Planning the rest of their lives,

 They offered what they could.

 Desire was easy!

 They savored femaleness in the smooth pages of Playboy.

 I wasn’t any better. I slept with record albums,

 Pretended the shrink-wrap

 Was the rock star’s black leather.

 When we were kids, we were all amateurs

 At sex and love. We made the crude sacred

 And left the sense and sweetness

 To the randomness of fate.


 It might be fun

 To be a romance novice again,

 To sigh over someone who

 Seems just wonderful

 In spite of all the stumbling.

 Yet I find myself

 Tearing up 

 At the memory of that sandwich,

 A hasty nibble, assembled from leftovers,

 And possibly, an expression

 That, in my longing for sweet songs,

 I did not hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marvinlouis Dorsey

What has happened  to my sha- dow how many colors are in eyes  of the  foolish  some- one has us in this  place time where no one  knows how...